Paan = Roti = Bread
This is Viswa, he sells paan (bread) at Laksman shop which is only about 100 metres from where we live. Viswa was not able to communicate much in English when we first met, but he has improved a lot since...

I remember our first encounter was a bad one. He yelled out to me, "Come, come" so loudly that I felt rather offended. He still does that (now with a smile) but I have to say it is the cultural differences. In fact, at the seafood market or the vegetables market, I get the same sort of calling.
Viswa has just bought his first mobile phone last week, it was a simple basic Nokia (without camera or color screen) and asked if I would exchange my precious Treo with him. I gestured to him that he must be crazy. I guess it was a good attempt to him anyway... lol
To maximise the use of his new novelty, Viswa rang me on my mobile around midnight for a few consecutive nights, but he has since stopped... after telling him off. Actually, I have never spoken to Viswa on the phone, he likes to ring and hang up - like all my other friends. No, there's no free incoming calls here in Sri Lanka. It costs Rs11 per min for airtime, a loaf of bread costs Rs15. (US 10cent = Rs 10/-) Therefore, it is not an affordable luxury for most Sri Lankans to own a mobile phone.
This is Viswa, he sells paan (bread) at Laksman shop which is only about 100 metres from where we live. Viswa was not able to communicate much in English when we first met, but he has improved a lot since...

I remember our first encounter was a bad one. He yelled out to me, "Come, come" so loudly that I felt rather offended. He still does that (now with a smile) but I have to say it is the cultural differences. In fact, at the seafood market or the vegetables market, I get the same sort of calling.
Viswa has just bought his first mobile phone last week, it was a simple basic Nokia (without camera or color screen) and asked if I would exchange my precious Treo with him. I gestured to him that he must be crazy. I guess it was a good attempt to him anyway... lol
To maximise the use of his new novelty, Viswa rang me on my mobile around midnight for a few consecutive nights, but he has since stopped... after telling him off. Actually, I have never spoken to Viswa on the phone, he likes to ring and hang up - like all my other friends. No, there's no free incoming calls here in Sri Lanka. It costs Rs11 per min for airtime, a loaf of bread costs Rs15. (US 10cent = Rs 10/-) Therefore, it is not an affordable luxury for most Sri Lankans to own a mobile phone.
No comments:
Post a Comment