Tuesday, 21 March 2006

Sathees and I were lucky this afternoon... we saw Tula laying eggs! She was quietly standing at her usual corner and her legs slightly angled, I didn't have the camera with me - and did not want to disrupt her process/business.

It didn't take long (less than a minute) and Tula plooped the egg out! Without any cackles throughout the process, Tula still stood above her egg for about 3 minutes(as if she was waiting for the egg to dry) before leaving the spot and this time, with loud cackles.

It has brought another chapter to a close. Sathees insisted that the hens cackle because of the pain, while I told him that the info I have from the internet indicated otherwise. It was the first time we have ever seen the process. Then, Sathees said Sri Lankans were stupid people. I asked if he was referring to himself, he kept quiet. I went on to say that it was not stupidity but the lack of knowledge and thus, the assumption that hens cackled in pain after laying eggs.


Unfortunately, I had to let Fula go last week. She had her intestines and cloaca protruding out. I had exhausted all the Internet resources and advice from my Mom and an army friend in Singapore who used to own a chicken farm.
We suspected that she was broody, but her condition simply got worst. She was not eating, and most definitely didn't look the leader Fula once was. It was painful to let her go, but more painful if she were to suffer longer.


I have been relying a lot on Internet for resources, especially the gardening. I have learned how to sow the seeds; to place them at the right places for optimal results; the right time to transfer them from the pot to the vegie garden; to use them in my recipes, etc. It's been rewarding and I am beginning to enjoy all that (minus the mossies).

No comments: