Wednesday, 6 December 2006


Finally found the lady selling the laundry soap... which I posted here

I had written a note for her little boy a few weeks ago, but never got the chance to see here again until today. Had a bit of a chat with her, thru Sathees. Found out that her 13 year-old son is unable to hear nor speak. My heart goes out to the boy, and I admire the strength and determination of his Mum.

The boy wrote: "help to Mother" in Sinhala on the cardboard wrappers, and it touched my heart deeply.

Laundry Soap Auntie sells her home-made cake of laundry soap for only Rs 10 each (about USD 10 cents - that's just a dime). There's hardly any profit, considering regular retail price is Rs 20. Perhaps Rs 1 - 2 of profit margin, and not factoring in the labour involved and the manhours to produce the cake of laundry soap.

I have given her my contact number, so that she can call me up if she needs help. I admire hard-working people like her, she's not asking for sympathy nor begging. Just doing what every mother would do, working hard to keep the family going and provide food on the table - everyday.

No comments: