Wednesday, 18 June 2008

My first meal in Saigon, the freshly made rice roll with grilled pork. That was pretty good, nowhere near as good as what Alan and I had when we were here 6 years ago. But it was still good. I had a Pho Ga (Chicken noodle) as well, couldn't stop eating and drinking. I had a soursop smoothie, a soya bean drink, and a iced-coffee in one sitting. That was all at Ben Thanh market.
Thankfully, Chuck dropped me off at Eden Mall to get the best exchange rate before he headed off for work. I had VND 17,800 to 1 USD (exchange-rates.org was VND 16,623). Knowing that I had received the local rate, I went back to change the remaining USD300, so that I do not have to change anymore for the entire trip. Or perhaps the next days, depending on what I spend on.
It was all about eating for me on this trip. I had no idea what this lady (above) was selling as she had the lid on. But I hoped it was soya bean curd, and I was blessed. I ordered a bowl (VND3000) and she drenched the curd with ginger infused sugar syrup. Again, it was good but not excellent. I will save the star rating for now.
And, this uncle (below) was selling sugarcane juice on a busy street. I was thirsty (again) and ordered a packet (VND4000), but it was so refreshingly good that I went back for another packet. Yes, I recycled my plastic bag.
The only thing I bought myself the whole day was this pair of 'Oakley' sunglasses (VND50,000). Again, I am sure I got the local price for this, as it is really cheap (abt USD 3.15), it was comfy and it serves its purpose.
In the evening, I went out with Chuck for dinner at one of his favourite restaurants. We had Indian food, I had Butter Chicken and it was good. I might have shocked Chuck as I had eaten about twice as much as him (I am about half the size of him, actually).

No comments: