Saturday, 13 December 2008

It was a great and fun-filled day for us as we headed into Colombo for the first ever Solidarity Gaymes 2008.
I must add that the event organiser did a fabulous job putting it all together. The campaign & marketing aspects were really good. Kudos to the Volunteers who put in their time & effort, we noticed they were young & energetic bunch, and most of them were probably from very good background & upbringing. Their help were invaluable.
Compare the picture on top (taken today, 2008) & 
2 pictures below (from 2002 Gay Games in Sydney).
I should have taken pictures of the drag queen from 2008 Solidarity Gaymes as comparison too, but forgotten about it.
I found the event to be rather successful, there were definitely more SriLankan drag queens taking part in the sports events and they were even running in their skirts. I was proud of them.
In fact, one of our friends Suraj participated in the 800metres event. He was running so far ahead of the rest (pictured below). Well done Suraj!  :)
Netball was undoubtedly the most popular event, there were 6 teams (I think) playing. And this team (pictured below with Sampath shooting the ball) won the game hands down. It was such a delight to watch this game, but more drama unfolded when the two teams got into a catfight with the losing team insisted it was unfair as the winning team had the unfair advantage of Sampath in their team.
Besides the sports events, I thought the best thing that came out of this was the free HIV test that was available at the venue. That would have been the most participated 'event' at the Gaymes. Once again, the event organiser had done a marvellous job. Well done folks!
Er.rrrr... No, I don't know anyone from the organising committee...  :( but they definitely deserve the special mention for putting this all together.

No comments: