Thursday, 20 December 2007

Inguru Auntie
Finally a chance to show you another of my favourite aunties at the Pola, my Inguru (ginger) Auntie. As usual, I find it rude to ask for her name but I always address her as Auntie.
Every Wednesday & Sunday, she would travel some distance to get to this market to sell ginger, coffee beans, pepper seeds. She hardly makes USD 4 per day, it makes me feel really sad how average SriLankans try to make a decent living in this country.
At one stage, I was buying so much ginger from her that I couldn't use them up fast enough. I was only hoping that I could help her by buying her produce so that she could go back quickly instead of basking in the hot sun till 5pm.
Now, I am just buying what I need but giving her a bit extra money. Guess what? She now doesn't want to take my money but insisted that I take the ginger for FREE. I can't do that, especially not since she did not grow the ginger but buy them from farmers.
I love her to bits, I went to the Pola today to give her a small red packet for Christmas. I feel so much like a Santa today... It warms my heart. :)

No comments: