Cranky Dorkfest 2026 RSVPs are Now Open!
19 hours ago
Year - 1992Yes, that's me dancing in front of my platoon-mates at Pulau Tekong while waiting for the ferry.I was enlisted into the first batch at Pulau Tekong, just after graduating with a Diploma in Building Services Engineering. Didn't have time to relax or enjoy like some of my ex-Polymates, but I was impatient & couldn't wait till the day I finished my National Service which lasted 2.5 years. Facts that not many people know about me:1) I passed my Physical Fitness Test, thus doing 3 months Basic Military Training (BMT); while most of my ex-Polymates who had regularly exercised did not make it for the shorter BMT course that I went through; I could only point finger to the difference of smoker versus non-smoker. I was the only guy in my class that didn't smoke.2) I enlisted ON THE SAME DAY my Mom was admitted to hospital for her operation, I did not ask to enlist a day later or to find excuses so that I could be on my Mom's side, I entrusted all that to my family & I didn't have anyone seeing me off; my Platoon Officer Ben & Sergeant Zac were kind to allow me to call home to make sure Mom was all right, for that I am forever grateful.3) I had my unique number: 505 when I enlisted (Bravo: 5, Bed: 05); SOS. How cool was that... I was even more determined to complete and pass out from Bravo 5 at Tekong Camp;4) I had no one visiting me after the first 3 weeks at Tekong camp, I didn't tell anyone in my family in case Mom was alerted; but my best buddy Andrew Sim made the day a lot easier - he introduced me to his then-girlfriend (now wifey), & shared home-made food with me. Love you guys, Andrew & Lina! :) My ex-Polymate, Tai Leng, turned up to visit me... She was just amazing.5) Even with the intensive training at Tekong camp, I bloated and put on 19kg within 12 weeks. I was diagnosed with Oedema, kidney diease of some sort, thus the 'fluid retention' and the bloating. With all positive tests for the blood in the urine throughout the 12 weeks, I still passed my BMT with flying colours, even with all that excess fluid & weight on me.6) I requested during the recruits interview that I'd prefer NOT to advance into the Officer's course. I just wanted to give my best at BMT, & hopefully get posted to somewhere. I was assured that because of my medical condition, I would not be considered for the Officer's course anyway. However, during the day of posting, I was told that I would advance to the Officer's course. 7) I was eventually downgraded & posted out of the Officer's course, after spending some miserable weeks there. I was given new posting, and sent to OETI (can't remember what that was) but it was to take up the Vehicle Mechanics course. It was there that I met Victor Lam, who was such a great guy & have been my very special friend all these years. Thanks Bro! 8) I was posted to my new unit, at Changi. My officer Alvin Lye was such a compassionate Officer, and I respect him a great deal for his diplomacy and his attitude towards his work. He inspired me a lot. Thanks Alvin!9) Most of the downgraded personnels were branded "Sick Chickens", and so we were usually not involved in the Fitness Test or the morning exercise. I continued my fitness regime in my own time (own target), and before I completed the 2.5 years stint of National Service, I ran the Half Marathon (21km). No one thought I could do it, ... but I did it. And, I finished in the top few - way ahead of my Officer, who placed a bet with me that I couldn't complete the marathon.10) I am pretty much a useless Vehicle Mechanic, so don't ask me to service your car. But I had an exceptional journey in my non-combat military days, Staff Ricky Ong (my superior) was such a kind soul, compassionate & simply one hell of a guy I respect a lot. Thanks Staff!I started working as a Temp staff at SingTel, way before I even completed my National Service (ROD, which is Run Out Date). I did not waste any precious time kickstarting my career at SingTel, I advanced within the company swiftly through sheer hardwork, commitment & a positive attitude. I am proud of what I had accomplished.A picture could evoke so much emotions, so much fond memories about 16 years ago... WOW!
www.stephenotoko.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment