Tuesday, 28 February 2006

An injured juvenile parakeet (girawa, in Sinhalese) fell on our roof this morning, crows were very noisy (which usually mean they were fighting for food). I had a look and found this parakeet on the grass next to our laundry area. It was constantly attacked by crows, I tried to scare them off but without much success... I was hoping that the mother parakeet would come to tend to her young. Waited for a while and still nothing happened, I wasn't prepared to let the crows kill the parakeet alive...

I took a container, and quickly rolled it in without touching. I brought it into the house and gave it some water.

Already several hours, and the parakeet was still not eating the banana. I decided that I have to feed it before it dies of hunger. I wrapped it in a cloth and gave bits of banana with the tip of the plastic spoon, wasn't much of a success but it had some food and water at least.

Did a bit of research and found that it is a rose-ringed parakeet... Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell if it is a male or female until a year later. Only the males develop the rose-ringed pattern around their necks. I have a feeling that it's a female, we have been surrounded by females of late. Bodhi first...then the girls (Fula, Tula, Sula & Agupy), not long after the snakes (not sure of their sexes though), the baby squirrel last week and this week, the juvenile rose-ringed parakeet. I hope it can fly soon.



28 February 2006
Naming rights for the parakeet is officially closed. We do not accept any more suggestions. Thank you for your keen interests.

I wanted to call it 'Fusie' as it reminded me of the rose-coloured ring that Alan and I have been talking about for the last 6 years. You know, the FUSION ring from Georg Jensen? Besides, it can be both a male and a female sort of name. It's like naming Bodhi - no drama sort of thing.

Alan, on the other hand, came home tonight and called her 'Rossie', 'she' looked really calm when Alan carried her. Well, her name is Rossie now - yup... male or female... Rossie, it shall be. I am happy, Alan named the first 3 characters, while I named the last three.

No comments: